Female Athlete Triad
There are many pressures in sports and particularly for the young female athlete. Those pressures can turn into real problems that affect their health and performance in sports. As the summer continues many of our young female athletes will begin training for fall sports or may already be involved in camps or club sports.
This Female Athlete Triad, is a group of problems that can start as a small problem and snowball into more serious issues. When we see female athletes with repetative injuries we screen them for this problem.
The key signs of the triad are:
- Irregular or absent menstral cycles.
- Always feeling tired or fatigued.
- Problems sleeping.
- Stress fractures or recurring injuries.
- Decreasing food intake/striving to be thin.
- Cold hands and feet.
The best treatment is to prevent the problem which comes with education and early identification. Coaches can do a lot to educate their athletes.
- Remind your athletes that eating is an important part of successful training and performance.
- Focus on health and a positive body image, do NOT focus on body weight.
- Support athletes throughout their training and competition, as well as during their everyday life.
- Mobilize available resources – nutritionists, athletic trainers, physical therapists, counselors, and physicians.
If you are an athlete or parent and suspect a Triad problem seek out treatment before the problem becomes worse. If you want further information go to here – http://ow.ly/5jxLv .